Getting Started With Microsoft Outlook
The University of Southern California (USC) Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences is upgrading the primary email client utilized by faculty and staff. Formerly, Novell® GroupWise® was the supported email program. Moving forward, Microsoft® Outlook® will be the supported email program.
Before Converting to Microsoft Outlook
Before you convert to Microsoft Outlook, review the following information.
- Verify your USC username and password by logging into http://mydornsife.usc.edu. To reset your password, navigate to http://www.usc.edu/its/password and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the password change/reset process. If you need additional support, email email@example.com or call 213-740-2775.
- Approximately one week before converting to Microsoft Outlook you will receive an email containing the final steps you must take to complete the conversion. This email will contain instructions on Outlook Web Access (OWA) and validating the transfer to ensure the conversion correctly moved all your data.
This email will also provide the date on which you will no longer use Novell GroupWise and will begin to use Microsoft Outlook as your primary email client, either through the desktop application or via the Internet (OWA).
Additionally, instructions detailing how to reconfigure your mobile device to work with Microsoft Outlook will be provided.
- On the day you are converted from using Novell GroupWise to Microsoft Outlook, you may experience interrupted access to your email account. The access interruption will, typically, occur between 5:00AM and 9:00AM. No email data will be lost due to this access interruption.
- After you have been converted to Microsoft Outlook, you may still see a desktop icon for Novell GroupWise on your computer. The icon remaining on your computer desktop is expected and represents no problems to your computer system. Novell GroupWise and Microsoft Outlook can both be installed on the same computer.
||After you have been transitioned to Microsoft Outlook, your @usc.edu and @dornsife.usc.edu email addresses will be merged into one account. You will no longer be able to access your @usc.edu email account via web mail or an email client. Messages sent to your @usc.edu email address will be automatically forward to your @dornsife.usc.edu email address.
User Documentation for Microsoft Outlook
Located on the right side of the screen is user documentation for Microsoft Outlook. The documents are separated into three categories:
- All operating systems
- Windows user documentation
- Mac user documentation
Please use these documents to assist you in using Microsoft Outlook. If you encounter any issues, please contact the help desk.